In the literal sense — by getting involved on Earth Day! Earth Day is just a few days away on April 22nd. Did you know Earth Day was first recognized in 1970 due to the efforts of Senator Gaylord Nelson from Wisconsin? 49 years later, it has evolved to become an international day of citizen action for those looking for a way to make a difference. Here are some facts you probably didn’t know about Earth Day:
- Earth Day was partly inspired by the New York Times Bestseller Silent Spring by Rachel Carson.
- Over 20 million Americans participated in the first Earth Day in 1970.
- Earth Day inspired sweeping environmental legislation in the 70’s and Richard Nixon’s creation of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
- In 2009, the United Nations General Assembly officially designated April 22nd to recognize Earth Day internationally as “International Mother Earth Day”.
- NASA’s “Moon Trees” are in celebration of Earth Day.
- The 2019 theme for Earth Day is “Protect Our Species” in recognition of the millions of species that coexist with us on Earth.
There are countless ways to participate and to almost any extent you wish. If you are looking for group volunteerism locally, you can choose between dozens of service sites across Columbus by visiting Earth Day Columbus 2019. All ages and abilities can participate in activities from cleaning up litter, to Repair Cafe’s, planting trees, or removing invasive species from our parks. Bring friends and family and meet new people through these unique opportunities to do some good!
Of course, there are ways to contribute on your own if you prefer. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Plant trees
- Create a pollinator-friendly garden (See below! We have 12 types of seeds in the shop to help you with that!)
- Make a monetary to a conservation organization or “Adopt” an Endangered Animal
- Go for a hike
- Donate unneeded items to charity or sell to second hand stores
- Write a letter to your local or state government
- Donate to an environmental or animal charity, such as Ohio Environmental Council, Sierra Club, or Ohio Wildlife Center
Earth Day is a great opportunity to make a difference in the health of this amazing place we call “home” as well as the rest of the creatures with whom we share it. Additionally, there are many purchases you can make year-round at Green Haven Living that contribute to Earth- and Animal-friendly causes, such as our popular 4Ocean bracelets and Naked Bee products.
Enjoy all that this season has to offer! Hope to see you soon.
Angie @ Green Haven Living, LLC